EPF Balance – Check PF Online: Mobile, SMS, Call, and Umang App
Any person working in a corporate would be aware of the advantages of Employee Provident Fund- where a contribution is made by both the employee as well as employer in order to secure one’s future after retirement. However, for better clarity, one needs to be aware of the amount of money held in this EPF account. Members of the EPFO- Employee Provident Fund organisation have many convenient means by which they can check their balance like
- EPFO portal
- Via SMS
- Via Missed Call
- Umang App
The new EPFO portal has the provision of viewing your PF passbook as well as printing it if required. The steps are detailed as following:
- Visit the EPFO official website – http://www.epfindia.gov.in/
- Click on ‘Our services’
- Select ‘For employees’
- Click ‘Services’
- Choose ‘Member passbook’
- Enter UAN and password to view the details
One important aspect is that, in spite of UAN being provided by the EPFO, it is mandatory for one’s employer to activate and verify it. Only then, one will be able to use the UAN. UAN number can be activated online also, by following the below steps.
- Visit the official website
- Click on ‘Our services’
- Choose ‘Member UAN/Online Services’. A new window will open redirecting you to the UAN member portal.
- In the right side pane under ‘Important links’ there is an option ‘Activate your UAN’. Click it.
- Few details are asked for. Please enter the required details and click ‘Get Authorisation PIN’.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Click ‘I Agree’ and enter the OTP received.
- Click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’
- A password will be sent to your registered mobile number which can be used to access the UAN account. You can change the password anytime you want by logging in into the portal.
Check EPF Balance Via SMS
This method of checking EPF balance can be used only if the UAN number is registered with EPFO.
Also, KYC for UAN should be completed i.e. Bank account number, PAN card number, and Aadhar number should be linked to the UAN.
You can send a SMS to the number 7738299899, for receiving EPF balance details. The format for sending the text message is ‘EPFOHO *UAN* *Lang*’. Here UAN refers to one’s own UAN number. You also have the option to choose any one of the 9 languages available namely English, Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Punjabi, and Kannada. All you need to do is just enter the first three letters of your language in the place *Lang*.
For example, if your UAN number is ‘112233445566’ and the preferred language is English, the SMS needs to be sent to 7738299899 in the format ‘EPFOHO 112233445566 ENG’. This will get you a reply in English with your EPF account balance.
Via Missed Call
This method of checking EPF balance can be done only if the following conditions are met.
- The UAN number is registered and activated in the EPFO.
- Mobile number from which the missed call will be made should be registered with EPFO
- KYC for UAN should be completed i.e. Bank account number, PAN card number and the Aadhar number should be linked to the UAN.
If all the above criteria are satisfied, one can check the EPF balance by simply giving a missed call to 011-22901406 from the registered mobile number. The call automatically gets disconnected after two rings. The last contribution made and EPF account balance is sent in the form of text message.
Finally, you can also use the government app UMANG which stands for Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance to check the EPF balance. The app was launched in 2018 to add more convenience to tech savvy digital users.
Many other services are available on the app apart from checking EPF balance. In fact, claims can also be raised and tracked via the app. In order to access the UMANG app, once must complete a one-time registration by entering the OTP received in registered mobile number. The steps to check EPF balance after registration are as follows.
- Open the app and click ‘EPFO’ – Andriod, IOS
- Select ‘Employee Centric services’
- Click on ‘View Passbook’ option. All withdrawals and deposits for both current as well as post employers are available.
- Enter the UAN number and click ‘Get OTP’
- OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. Enter OTP and click ‘Login’.
- The member IDs of all the organisations are displayed
- Click on the member ID of the organisation for which you want to know the EPF balance.
- EPF balance will be displayed on the screen along with your passbook.
It is always important to be aware of one’s EPF account balance as it is a lump sum which will shape up your after retirement life. There are also a lot of withdrawal and reinvestment options available. Employees can always make note and track the monthly deposits by checking their monthly payslips. One can also check with their HR department for details on employer contribution to the EPF balance.
Read More – How to withdraw PF Amount Online Using UAN? – Guide