Aadhar Card – Overview
Aadhar means ‘foundation’. The base, logo, and brand name for Aadhar Card was inaugurated in April 2010 by Mr. Nandan Nilekani, who was then the chairman of UIDAI – The Unique Identification Authority of India. Mr. Pankaj Kumar is the CEO of UIDAI. Ranjana Sona wane from Nandurbar district of Maharashtra was the first person to get her Aadhar Card on 29th September 2010. Aadhar Card is a unique identification number which is given to all the residents of India based on their biometric and demographic information. This programme was launched in 2009 by the former honourable Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
What is UIDAI?
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is governed by the Central Government with its main data centre at IMT Manesar in Haryana. It provides a unique identification code to every citizen of India, thereby, giving them the benefit of maintaining their own verification base using the card and makes it the focus point of all government schemes.
What is an Aadhar Card?
Aadhar Card is a 12-digit unique identification number which can be availed at any of the government-authorized Aadhaar Enrolment Centres and is provided to all the residents of India. There is a detailed verification process that needs to be followed for every citizen irrespective of his age, profession, and gender. He he will have to provide minimal demographic and biometric information about himself for enrolment which has no charge or fees attached to it. An individual can apply for only one Aadhar card during his lifetime:
The following information is required to get a New Aadhar Card:
- Full name of the applicant
- Date of Birth or Age
- Mobile Number
- Email ID
- Introducer name and his Aadhaar number (in case of the involvement of an introducer)
- Name of Head of Family, Relationship with him and his Aadhaar number (in case enrolment is based on Head of Family)
- For children – Enrolment ID/Aadhaar number of one of the parents and a proof of relationship with him/her (like a birth certificate).
- Ten Fingerprints
- Two Iris (visual) Scans
- Facial Photograph
Features of Aadhar Card
Aadhaar Card Services include features like:
- Aadhar card is officially downloaded from the official website of UIDAI.
- You can check Aadhaar status and locate Aadhaar Enrolment or an Update Centre via UIDAI online portal.
- One can retrieve a Lost Aadhar Card ID online easily.
- Updating of Address online can be done free of cost on the UIDAI’s portal.
- Verification of someone else’s Aadhar card can also be done through the portal.
- The facility to lock and unlock Aadhaar biometrics can be done online.
- Aadhaar-bank account linking is beneficial for financial transactions.
- Aadhar authentication history for the past 6 months can be tracked.
- Aadhaar Virtual ID can also be retrieved for further verification and protection.
Aadhaar Card Benefits
The Government of India provides an Aadhaar number to every Indian which is an authentic proof of identity applicable everywhere in the country. There are many benefits of having an Aadhaar card, like:
1. Identity Card
Aadhaar is a valid and authenticated identity card which is accepted by all government and non-government organisations although it is not a citizenship document. It contains biometric details like fingerprints and iris imageand also contains a QR code that can be scanned to authenticatethe details.
2. Proof of Address, Age, Identity, and Residence
It is a valid identity, age, address, and date of birth proof for services like home loans, investments, financial and non-financial services, personal loans, buying and selling of properties and assets, and even for ITR.
3. Government Subsidy
To avail Government subsidies under various schemes, the Aadhar Card is linked directly to the bank account.
4. Bank Accounts
It is alsomandatory to link your bank account with an Aadhar card.
5. Income Tax
The Income Tax Department has made it mandatory for Indian taxpayers to link Aadhaar to PAN and to file ITR application.
6. Phone Connection
It has been compulsorily facilitated by all the telecom companies in India to provide phone connections after linking individual Aadhaar as a proof of identity and address.
7. Gas Connection
People have tosupply their Aadhaar and to fill in the KYC form after linking Aadhar with Bank account, for getting a new gas connection.
8. Mutual Fund and other Investments
As mandated by SEBI, it is important to supply Aadhar Card and follow the e-KYC process to make any investments in the market.
Eligibility to apply for an Aadhar Card
Aadhar card is more than just an identification number and is a valid age, identity, and address proof.
The eligibility criteria for Aadhaar enrolment are as follows:
- The applicant is an Indian Citizen residing in India, or
- NRI – non-resident Indian residing in India, or
- Foreigner residing in India
- Bal-Aadhar – for children and infants
1. Aadhaar Card for Resident Indians
Every Indian citizen can apply for an Aadhaar card and for the services of Income Tax Department, it is important to link the Aadhar Card with PAN Card.
2. Aadhaar Card for Minors
To apply for an Aadhar Card for minors, the birth certificateof the child along with identity and address proof of parents should be submitted. New-born babies can also be enrolled for Aadhaar. Biometric data will be taken when the child is 5 or 15 years old and till then the Baal Aadhaar card is blue in colour.
3. Aadhaar for Foreigners
Although this is not a proof of Indian citizenship, foreigners who are residing in India can apply for an Aadhaar Card to provide their identity even though they are citizens of another country. The condition is that they should be resident of Indiafor more than 182 days in the last 12 months.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Enrolment
To enrol for Aadhar Card, Proof of address and Proof of Identity should be submitted to UIDAI. Other documents which are accepted as the proof of identity are:
- PAN Card
- Ration card
- Voter Identification Card
- Driving Licence
- NREGS Jobs Card
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Birth Certificate
How to Apply for Aadhaar Card?
There are systematic protocols to be followed and a step by step process for the application of an Aadhar Card which are as follows:
Step.1. Apply for Aadhar Card through an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre to apply for an Aadhaar.
- Submit Proof of Identity and Proof of Address.
- Then fill and submit an Aadhaar Enrolment form. This form is free of cost and can also be downloaded from the UIDAI official website
- After filling the form, you can submit it at the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
Step.2. Photograph and Biometric Data Collection
- After the form is submitted, the process of enrolment starts.
- Photograph, fingerprint scan, and iris scan of the individual is taken.
- During the enrolment procedure, it is imperative to double-check all the details entered in the form and make rectifications.
Step.3. Acknowledgement Slip
- After enrolment, you will receive an acknowledgement slip.
- This can be used to track the delivery of the Aadhar Card.
- The slip contains the enrolment number that can be used to check Aadhar status online as well as through IVR.
Step.4. Dispatch of Aadhaar to the Address of the applicant
- After the successful verification of the Aadhar details, the applicant will be notified through SMS or an email.
- The unique Aadhaar number gets printed on the Aadhaar Card of the individual and is sent to the applicant through post on the verified address as mentioned on the Aadhar Card.
How to check Aadhar card status:
The status of the Aadhar Card can be verified through the following ways:
1. To check Aadhar Card status through registered phone number
Step by step procedure:
● The applicant needs to send an SMS to 51969 in the format -:
UID STATUS < your registered phone number >
● If Aadhar is approved and generated then the Aadhar card number will be displayed.
● If it is still in progress, then an SMS will be shared with the current status of the Aadhar card.
2. To check Aadhar Card status by using name
Step by step procedure:
- The acknowledgement slip containing the enrolment ID can be used to track Aadhar card status.
- URN – Update request number is received by the applicant on successful submission of the application is successful.
- URN can be used to track the update status of the Aadhar card.
3. To check Aadhar Card status by enrolment number
Step by step procedure:
- The applicant needs to visit the official website of UIDAI – https://uidai.gov.in/ and enter his enrolment ID (EID)
- He must fill the 14-digit enrolment number or the date and time of your enrolment.
- Enter the correct ‘Captcha Code’ and Click on ‘Check Status’
- One can download e-Aadhaar if he wishes to.
- Or he can click on ‘Get Aadhaar on mobile’ option to know the latest status.
- The latest status will be sent to the applicant’s registered mobile number.
4. To check Aadhar Card status without enrolment number
Step by step procedure:
- The applicant must visit the official UIDAI website to retrieve your enrolment number.
- He needs to enter personal details like his email address, name, date of birth, mobile number and fill in the captcha verification code correctly. This will send a verification code to his mobile number or his email address.
- He must enter the OTP and then click on verify.
- After the verification, the Enrolment number or the Aadhaar will be sent to his registered mobile number and email address.
- Using this enrolment number, he can easily check the status of his Aadhar.
5. To check Aadhar Card status by URN (update request number)
Step by step procedure:
- The applicant must visit the official UIDAI website and enter his update request number (URN)
- He must then enter the captcha code for verification.
- Then click on ‘Check Status’.
- The Aadhar card status will be displayed instantly.
6. To check Aadhar Card status via India post
Step by step procedure:
- Visit the office India post website – https://www.indiapost.gov.in/
- Enter the consignment details verified by the Aadhar website.
- The details of the Aadhar consignment will be displayed on the screen.
- To further check the delivery status of Aadhaar, one can track the same at any India Post branch.
7. To check through online mobile or phone number verification
Step by step procedure:
- The applicant must visit the official website of UIDAI and enter his 12-digit Aadhar number along with the phone number or email address.
- He must input the security code and click on the “Send OTP” option.
- A verification code will be received on the applicant’s mobile number or email and the same needs to be entered on the space given. • Then he must click on the “verify ” option and the required verification will be done.
How to make Changes or Corrections in Aadhar Card
Making changes or corrections in the existing Aadhar Card is possible by following various steps. Demographic Information and Biometric Information can also be modified or updated as per the requirement of the individual on the existing Aadhar Card like:
- Date of Birth
- Mobile Number or other contact details
- Relationship status whether Married/Divorced/Widowed, etc.
- Email ID
- Consent to share information
- Photograph or changes in facial features (picture to be attached)
Documents Required to Modify or Update Aadhar Card Details:
To make changes to the Aadhar Card, creditable documents and additional proof will be required to be attached or submitted to authorise the required modifications.
- Any other kind of an Identity proof which contains the name and photograph of the individual (these documents must contain the correct information which needs to be updated on the Aadhar Card)
- Additional address proof documents with the updated address and the name of the individual like utility bills, passport, etc.
- Documents pertaining to the correct date of birth like the birth certificate
- Most common change is regarding the change in relationship status for which a proof which contains relevant information along with the legal papers attached or an approval by the head of the family, example marriage card in case of change of surname and divorce papers in case of showing the individual separated or divorced.
- There is no need to print and submit photocopies of these documents as the centre will demand original documents which will be scanned and kept by them only.
Steps to Update Aadhar Card Details:
1. Making changes Online through Aadhar self-service Update Portal:
This is one of the most convenient ways to make relevant changes onto the Aadhar Card provided the mobile number remains the same which was at the time of registration of the Aadhar Card. Using the OTP (one-time password for verification) which will sent to the mobile of the individual, he can login using his 12-digit Aadhar number. All he needs to do is submit the relevant documents and proofs and make the necessary changes. He would need to follow these steps:
Step 1 – login at the Aadhar self-service update portal
Step 2 –select the relevant field which needs to be modified and fill them up with the correct details and then submit
Step 3 – A URN – Update Request Number will be generated after the form is submitted
Step 4 – The applicant can then select the relevant BPO service provider for reviews of updates.
Step 5 – The applicant should scan and attach the required proof, documents, and supporting copies of the information that needs to be updated.
Step 6 – Finally he can use the URN to check the status of the update.
2. Making changes Offline by Visiting the Permanent Enrolment Centre (PEC):
Through this mode, an operator from PEC will assist the applicant when he places his biometric or demographic update request. There are three modes through which this can be possible:
- Update Client Standardand Client Lite– Used to update local language, biometric fields, and demographic status. This also needs a biometric check at the back end.
- The DDSVP Committee recommends this procedure of verification which needs to be manually conducted by the UIDAI or the Registrars.
- Any kind of Aadhar updated requires a biometric sign from the operator who also takes care of the spelling issues, language issues, transliteration, etc.
- URN and acknowledgement receipt will be issued which will help the individual to track the status of the changes done.
- Update through AUA Point of Presence – This update is authorised by an Authentication Requesting Agency (AUA) who is also the Registrar and are the custodians of the data provided by the applicant and UIDAI. These registrars have the authority to collect, generate, possess, and manage the information regarding the demographic field of the citizen. Only the Demographic Field can be updated using this mode.
- AUA device will conduct the biometric authentication.
- Additional information may be asked from UIDAI.
- Biometrics will be signed off against the request of the update.
- UIDAI will only accept the update request after it is verified and authorised by the Registrar and the applicant is authenticated. The scanned, audited, and electronic documents of the individual can be accepted online.
- The operator of the Registrars after conducting a biometric authentication on the device of the applicant will fill up the form.
- An acknowledgement will be given via SMS or email, if it is about Mobile Number which can be used for further follow-up.
3. Steps to Update Address in Aadhar Card without having a Document Proof:
The same can be done after the consent and authentication of the family members, landlord, friend, whomsoever is the owner of the current residence (known as the address verifier), the applicant is staying in and it can be used to update the current residential address on the Aadhar Card.
To do this, an ‘Address Validation Letter’ must be requested and the following details should be kept in mind:
- Address will only be validated after the resident and the owner verify the secret code within the validation letter which is sent on the address verifier’s address.
- They must also verify and update their respective mobile numbers with the submission of their Aadhar Cards.
- If the consent is denied by the address verifier, the request for any change will be terminated and the request will have to be re-initiated.
Steps to follow to change the address:
Step 1 : The applicant
must visit the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal
Step 2: He must then click on ‘Update Aadhaar’ and select ‘Request for Address Validation Letter’.
Step 3: Then he would need to enter his Aadhaar number and Captcha Verification code.
Step 4: After clicking on ‘Send OTP or Enter TOTP’ which will be sent to the registered mobile number, he must enter the code.
Step 5: Then the process details for updating the address via Validation Letter are as follows:
- Resident initiates Request
- Address Verifier Consents
- Secret Code must be used to complete the authorisation after which the update will be complete.
4. How to Check Aadhaar Application Status Online?
You can check the Aadhaar Card application status online using ‘Enrolment ID’ which is available in the Aadhaar Acknowledgement slip containing the 14-digit enrolment number and 14 digit date and time of enrolment.
However, there are various methods by which you can check your Aadhaar Application Status:
- Through Enrolment ID
- Without Enrolment ID/Acknowledgement Slip
- Using Update Request Number (URN)
- From India Post
5. How to Verify or Link Mobile Numbers with Aadhaar?
People can link their mobile number with Aadhaar by following one of the three ways:
Aadhaar Linking with Mobile Number by visiting the Store:
Step by step procedure is:
Step 1: Visit the telecom operator’s outlet or store.
Step 2: Submit a self-attested copy of the Aadhaar card.
Step 3: Share the mobile number.
Step 4: The store manager will send an OTP to the mobile number that needs to be linked.
Step 5: Provide the same OTP to the manager for verification.
Step 6: Then the fingerprint should be provided to the manager.
Step 7: A confirmation SMS will be received from your telecom operator.
Step 8: A confirmation Reply as ‘Y’ should be replied to the SMS to complete the e-KYC process.
Aadhaar Linking with Mobile Number through IVR / OTP
Step by step procedure is:
Step 1: Call 14546* or the relevant number provided from the mobile number
Step 2: The applicant needs to choose from the option of being an Indian or an NRI
Step 3: He needs to give his consent and re-verify Aadhaar by pressing 1
Step 4: Then the applicant must enter his 12-digit Aadhaar number and confirm it by pressing 1
Step 5: An OTP is sent to the registered mobile number
Step 6: A consent should be registered to access the applicant’s name, photo and DOB from UIDAI
Step 7: IVR reads out the last 4 digits of your mobile number
Step 8: The OTP received must be approved Step 9: Press the relevant option to complete the process
6. How to Link PAN with Aadhaar?
The Government of India has made it mandatory to link PAN with Aadhaar for filing ‘Income Tax Return’.
The ways to link to PAN with Aadhaar are as follows:
1. Linking PAN with Aadhaar through the e-filing website
Step by Step process is:
Step 1. The applicant must visit the Income Tax e-Filing website and go to quick links from where he must click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
Step 2. Enter the PAN and Aadhaar number
Step 3. Enter the name as mentioned in your Aadhaar card
Step 4. If only the date of birth is mentioned on your Aadhaar card then tick the square
Step 5. Check the ‘I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI’ option.
Step 6. Enter the ‘Captcha Code’ as specified in the image for the verification
Step 7. Then click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button
Step 8. A pop-up message showing that the applicant has successfully linked Aadhaar with PAN Card will be received.
2. Linking of Aadhaar Number and Pan via SMS
Step by Step process is:
Step 1. The applicant must send a message in the format
UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar><10 Digit PAN> Step 2. This message should then be sent to either 567678 or 56161 from his registered mobile number
7. How to Change Address in Aadhar Card Without Any Address Proof
When you shift to a new city or change your house after marriage, you do not have a valid address proof due to which you can face a lot of problems. However, you can now update your address in Aadhaar card without documents and use it as a valid address proof. This can be done with the help of Aadhaar Address Validation Letter that is provided by the address verifier. The verifier’s address is updated in your Aadhaar card as well. However, no other details of the verifier are imported to your Aadhaar apart from the address. A verifier can be your relative, friend, family member or landlord whoever is willing to provide you his/her address details.
1. What to do if you have lost your Aadhaar Card?
2. How to link Aadhar Number with EPF Account?
3. How to link an Aadhar Number with ration card?
4. How to Link Aadhaar with Bank Account?
5. How to Lock/Unlock your biometrics?
6. What is a Masked Aadhaar Card?
7. Can a US citizen apply for an Aadhaar Card?
8. What is the URN number in Aadhaar Card?
9. I am not in India and I don’t have an Aadhar Card. Can I apply for an Aadhaar card from outside India?
10. Is it mandatory to link Aadhaar with Insurance Policies?
11. What is the procedure to change the phone number on Aadhar Card?
12. Under what situation does a correction or an update in Aadhar Card get rejected?
13. What are important things that should be taken into consideration before updating details on the Aadhar Card?
14. How to verify your Aadhaar Card?