Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is a leading scheme under MSDE – Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship which is executed by NSDC (National Skill Development Corporation). It aims to provide industry-level skill training to many youth of the country to help secure a better living and to assess and certify their learning experience and acquired skills under RPL – Recognition of Prior Learning.
The Government’s objective is to train 400 plus million young workers by 2022. Established in the year 2009, a revised Policy came into effect in 2015 after the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship was established – https://www.pmkvyofficial.org/
Scheme Details of PMKVY:
The main agencies operated by MSDE under this scheme are:
1. NSDA – National Skill Development Authority with main tasks like:
- To implement NSQF – National Skills Qualification Framework
- To strengthen the SSDMs – State Skill Development Missions
2. NSDC– National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) with main tasks like:
- To implement the PMKVY scheme
- To provide financial loans to private sector skilling and training companies
- To monitor and establish SSCs – Sector Skill Councils
3. DGT – Directorate General of Training with main tasks like:
- Establish and monitor Long term vocational training institutions called IITs – Industrial Training Institutes.
Components of PMKVY:
Short Term Training – All PMKVY Training Centres (TCs) offer the program (short term training) to Indian youth who have dropped out of academic education or who are unemployed. They give sessions on Digital Literacy, Entrepreneurship, Finance Literacy, and Soft Skills. The duration of the training is between 150-200 hours as specific to the job role. Placement assistance is further provided to these candidates, and the Government pays the entire fees for the program.
Training under this program comes under NSFQ level 5 or lower.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) – Any person who has prior experience or skill will be assessed and certified under RPL, and its main objective is to align these specific skills to India’s workforce which is unregulated by NSQF. Agencies under SSC and MSDE or NSDC projects will employ RPL Projects, and these candidates will be PIA – Project Implementing Agencies based Bridge Courses – http://rpldap.pmkvyofficial.org/
Special Projects – Any job roles that are not specified under NOS qualification packs – National Occupation Standards, PMKVY provides apt training in these special projects. Stakeholders of these special projects are the State, and Central Government or an equivalent body and a deviation is required from the basic terms and conditions of these training.
Kaushal and Rozgar Mela – Accountability and transparency are encouraged through social and community mobilization and participation and helps the community to function better. Specific importance is assigned by PMKVY so that the beneficiaries are involved and benefitted. TCs conduct this Mela every 6 months.
Placement Guidelines – PMKVY links the aspiration, skill, aptitude, and knowledge, of the skilled youth with the market demand and employment opportunities. So, the certified and trained candidates under PMKVY are encouraged for placement, and besides that, entrepreneurship development support is also provided to them by TCs.
Monitoring Guidelines – Validations and self-audit reporting is conducted by the Inspection agencies and NSDC to maintain high standards and appropriate implementation of training and placements. With the help of the latest technologies, these methods are enhanced, and surprise visits and call validations are frequently conducted to maintain a stringent check on the implementations.
Standardized, Branding and Communication – To make this possible, PMKVY enables the country’s youth to get industry-relevant skill training and helps in the improvement of working efficiency and imparting the necessary skills in standardizing and branding their training types and working on their communication part to make them ready for job placement and entrepreneurship.
Features of PMKVY:
With the main objective of creating jobs and enhancing the skill and creative of the youth of the country, PMKVY has certain features like:
- It is a flagship system to train the young employable people and impart necessary expertise to them
- This is implemented through NSDC by the MSDE – Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
- A coverage of 12 lakh people is the prime motive
- Standards for training are set by the industry and undertaken by the NSQF – National Skill Qualification Framework
- A monetary reward of Rs. 8000 and relevant certification per trainee is assured after completion of the process
- Alliance and collaboration of Skill India initiative with Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, Digital India, Solar Mission and Make in India.
- This also takes into consideration drop-outs from classes X and XII and enables them to make a living for themselves
- Allocation of funds specifically for north-eastern Indians
- Skill Melas will be organized under this initiative where the essential bodies will participate.
- Allocation of funds towards mobilization efforts and awareness building
- Special fund allocation towards Recognition of Prior Learning.
Benefits of PMKVY
This scheme has many advantages like:
- This is a unique scheme which focuses on providing skill-based training to the youth of the country
- Concentration on certifying 24 lakh youth
- Monetary Awards for performers and other encouraging programs like scholarships, loans for further education and much more provided under this scheme
- The certificate provided will help the youth get a job or even apply for higher education from other universities
- High-level learning and teaching organizations and universities fall under the PMKVY scheme.
Some Facts and Stats regarding PMKVY:
There are certain facts regarding this scheme which are as follows:
- Executed through NSDC training partners -187 training partners and 2,300 plus centers
- Skilled Trainers affiliated by the Central or state government imparting training and they need to go through due diligence.
- Stress will be given on providing skilled tutoring, upgrading curricula, and creating better training processes by the instructors
- Training includes soft skills training like focusing on the ethics, grooming, personality development, communication of the trainee.
- Training imparted will be diligently controlled and regulated by the State Government and the Sector Skills Councils after verifying details of each training center.
- Video Recording of sessions and verification using the Biometric system implemented
- This scheme has a vigorous system of grievance redressal and also has a functionating citizen (online) portal.
The Budget of PMKVY:
- To benefit around 10 million youth with the allocated budget of 12 thousand crores for another four years (2016-2020)
- Training and Assessment fees to be undertaken by the government.
- National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) takes feedback from the industries that employ these trainees, and it works on these specific skills required.
- Within the first 2 years of PMKVY, 252 job roles were initiated to impart training for 189 job roles.
- After the 2-year scheme, 15.4 lakh candidates were certified.
- 5.8 lakh people were reported to be placed under short-term training
How PMKVY helps to start your own business?
- PMKVY specializes in providing relevant skill training to the youth to ensure they have a better livelihood
- After getting certified for the appropriate training taken, the individual can start his own business by applying for a business loan.
The Mudra Scheme can easily take the loan from Rs. 50000 to Rs. 10 Lakhs as per individual requirement.
Jobs after PMKVY after implementation
NSDC has been the driving force behind this scheme and NSQF decides the criterion for each, based on his expertise and skill-set and the generic feedback provided by top industries on the kind of skills required.
Within the first two years of PMKVY, 252 jobs were created to provide training, out of which training for 198 job roles was imparted. After the completion of two years 15.4 lakh candidates were certified and 5.8 lakh, people were reported to have been placed under short term training.
PMKVY Scheme FAQs:
1. What is SSDM?
2. What is the centre and state component of the PMKVY?
3. What will be the ID proof required and the attendance rate of students?
4. What will be the monitoring mechanism for PMKVY Trainings?
5. What is the definition of Placement under PMKVY?
6. What arethe eligibility criteria of applying under PMKVY?
7. Who provides training under PMKVY?
8. What is the curriculum followed under PMKVY?
9. What are the steps to enrol for PMKVY?
10. Is there a placement guarantee for trainees under PMKVY?