FSSAI: Guide (FSSAI Registration + License, Etc)
Step up under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, the FSSAI or the Food Safety and Standards Authority is an autonomous body established under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006. The FSSAI is responsible for promoting and protecting public health by implementing and supervision and regulation of food safety by appointing food safety authorities on a state level.
The primary aim of FSSAI standards are:
- The laying down of the standard norms for food articles on a scientific basis.
- To maintain and regulate the manufacture, storage, sale, distribution, and import of food in the most optimal manner that operates within the framework of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006.
- Ensure and facilitate the quality and safety of the food distributed to the masses and the public by culinary establishments.
Eateries and food joints are one of the largest and fast-growing industries. People find comfort and enjoyment in dining outside and ordering food from restraints and food establishments, and this helps in promoting the business in leaps and bounds.
It ensures that the people receive quality food for their money, food joints, and eateries are required to be certified by FSSAI and have FSSAI licenses.
FSSAI Registration of Food Establishments
All food restraints and establishments must conform to the FSSAI standards and must procure an FSSAI licenses certificate. This license acts as proof and permission for any place dealing in food to be a legal manufacturer and distributor of cooked and processed foods that are to be sold commercially to the masses. The license acts as a stamp of proof that a startup or sole proprietorship is a legitimate business that is dealing in food and culinary items.
Businesses and kitchen thus must apply for an FSSAI license registration to acquire an FSSAI license if they pass the FSSAI standards.
Steps for FSSAI Registration
Step 1: Visit the online website, http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in. On priority, you must check your eligibility criteria; whether you are eligible for a State License, a Central License, or a Basic License.
Up to 12 lakh
Greater than 20 crores
Up to 20 crores
Depending on the turnover, a person applying for an FSSAI license can be eligible for one of the above.
- Step 2: After opening the website and checking which license you are eligible for, proceed to click on the “sign- up’ option. Input the required information along with a valid phone number and Email ID in the sign- up form.
- Step 3: Choose a username and password which will complete the sign- up. Logging in will allow you to have an account on the FSSAI webpage.
- Step 4: log-in into your FSSAI accounts after getting an SMS or E-mail confirmation for your new FSSAI account. It is worth noting that the account made will be valid for only 30 days after which there is an automatic deactivation. The account user must register for the FSSAI license within the completion of a month.
- Step 5: After logging in to your FSSAI account, go to the FSSAI license registration at https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx and input the relevant information.
Another important note is that one should complete the FSSAI registration process on the go. If done otherwise, then the form will be considered incomplete and then rejected, and you will have to start the process all over again.
- Step 6: Before submitting the completed form, make a copy of it and take a print out of the same. Keeping a hard copy of the registration form will allow you to remember the information that you provided and also help in future reference if needed.
- Step 7: After applying for the FSSAI, you will see a reference number on the form. Note down or save the number as it is required to help you track the progress of the FSSAI license registration form.
- Step 8: Finally, after successfully printing out the registration form and taking a print out, you have to submit the printed online application form to the regional authority or state authority with all the additional supportive documents attached.
- Note that you must duly submit the form within 15 days from the day of online submission of the FSSAI license registration form for consideration.
By following these steps, anyone who is in the food business can apply and register for an FSSAI food license.
Documents required for FSSAI License Registration
For the FSSAI registration process, there are certain documents that you must prepare and procure. These documents are evidence to establish your legitimate food business.
The documents required to FSSAI license registration are as follows:
- You will require to present the form which is completed and is signed and attested by the restaurant owner or the proprietor.
- As the owner, you will need identity proof, in any way like Aadhaar card, voters ID card, driver’s license.
- Address proof of the location of the restaurant or business which is issued by a Government authority.
- If the business or company has other directors and/ or shareholders, then the Identity proof of each member or partner must also be provided.
- A valid Email ID and a valid phone number is a must. If the company or startup has a phone and e-mail of its own, then both e-mails and phones numbers of the opener and the startup must be provided.
- A plan form of the food safety management must be procured and attached. If you don’t have one, then you can easily acquire it by visiting the nearest notary or merely downloading the document online.
- As your business or startup will be in a specific area or premise, proof of possession of the said premise must be attached. The evidence of the position of premise can be given by presenting a sales deed, rent agreement, electricity bill, and others such as these for the startup.
- Another document that you need is a national occupational classification or a NOC from a municipal corporation or any such local bodies.
- If you have a high- end upgraded kitchen, then a floor plan of the kitchen may be presented. It does not apply to smaller startup and kitchens.
- If you have multiple partners who run the food eatery or business alongside you, then the partnership deed should be presented. If the business operates from some other premise, then an Affidavit of Proprietorship can also be attached with the registration form.
- Every kitchen and food business has a unique selling point. So, make sure an attachment of the list of food category is there with the rest of the necessary documentation.
- A list of the different types of heavy kitchen equipment (if any) should also be submitted. Especially if the food enterprise is one which focuses on large scale manufacturing.
- Finally, the medical certificates of all the employees and partners need to be provided to ensure hygiene and quality checks.
Not all the document will be readily available for the different types of food businesses. Smaller startups will not need some of the documents mentioned above. What is essential is to provide all the documents that you can procure for the FSSAI license registration.
After completing the steps for FSSAI registration, the process of verification will begin, and if you manage to check all the boxes, then you will in receive your FSSAI license through your provided email.
Cost for a new FSSAI License
In the food industry, there are several different posts. Some are small, while others are more substantial enterprises. Regardless, it is vital to procure an FSSAI food license to continue the business.
The fee for a new FSSAI food license varies depending on the production or turnover by the manufactures/millers.
The FSSAI license fees structure is as follows:
FEES (PER YEAR)
Greater than 1 MT per day of production
Rs. 5000 /-
Below 1 MT of production
Rs. 3000 /-
Hotels with 4 stars or less
Rs. 5000 /-
Rest of the foodservice providers (restaurants, boarding houses, clubs, canteens, colleges, offices, institutions, banquet halls with food catering, roadside food vendors like dabbawallas and dhabas and other food business operators)
|Rs. 2000 /-|
The fees are subject to change as per the Department of Food Safety. Mention of all prices and requisite charges are on the FSSAI website http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in
Benefits of having an FSSAI license
There are multiple added benefits of having an FSSAI license apart from freely indulging in the manufacture and distribution of food items.
1. Legal benefits: when it comes to the food industry, there are a vast number of rules and safety regulations that one needs to follow. These rules and procedures can make opening a food startup or enterprise a cumbersome task that requires one to pass through a multitude of a checkpoint. Securing an FSSAI license even before opening a business can help you get a tremendous legal advantage. It certifies you and your business to be eligible and qualified too part take in the industry.
2. Quality Assurance: having the FSSAI logo associated with your brand name can help spread trust and quality assurance among the target crowd. People can readily invest and approach your business and food market if they know that you have a license from FSSAI.
3. Business expansion: many partnering companies and other brands look for an FSSAI license before investing. Having an FSSAI license can help promote your company and brand name, which will help attract opportunities to expand your business and increase turnover profit. Most food delivery apps require the restaurant to have an FSSAI license in its application.
4. Spreading awareness: having an FSSAI license also allows you to help spread awareness to the masses about kitchen safety and hygiene. People can become more aware and get information about food safety standards. Thus, having an FSSAI license can help solidify a better and more proactive customer and consumer base for your business.
Penalties associated with FSSAI
Along with the benefits, the FSSAI license also comes with its set of rules and guidelines. These requirements and instructions must be met-with at all times. If any food enterprise is found to violate the set rules, then the business must face a penalty charge.
The penalty charge in most cases is, in the form of a fee or monetary charge. The withdrawal of the license and keeping the business under a supervisor and routine inspection will be the penalty in case of a situation of grave violations or multiple accounts of rule-breaking.
Some of the possible penalties and their associated charges are as follows:
Food quality not in compliance with the act
Petty manufacturer – Rs. 25,000/-
Sub-standard food quality
Misbranded Food items
Misleading advertisement/ labelling or false description
Foreign harmful substances in food
Failure to follow and adhere with Food safety officer direction
Unhygienic processing or manufacture of food substance or items
The charges of the penalties may vary depending on the size and turnover of the food enterprise in question. Larger food joints are susceptible to increased fines and charges as compared to new and smaller food establishments
These penalties exist in order to ensure that all food establishments adhere to food safety procedures and ensure that the consumer gets quality and clean food.
FSSAI License Renewal
Just as having an FSSAI license is mandatory, so also is its renewal The extension of the validity of an FSSAI license can be for a period of 1 to 5 years. After that, the license needs renewal to continue with its benefits and brand mark.
The validity of the license is up to the applicant themselves, but they cannot miss out on renewing the license when it is nearing the end of its tenure. If the applicant fails to renew the license, then he or she is liable to a penalty fine. If the license were to expire, then the business owner will be prohibited from continuing the food activities that the business was conducting.
There are specific points to keep in mind when talking about FSSAI license renewal.
- The license must be renewed 120 days before its expiry.
- The extension of the renewal is also for 1 to 5 years. The cost of renewing will also increment depending on the extension period.
- If one fails to renew the license before its expiry, then he or she will be charged Rs. 100/- each day from the day of expiry till the renewal.
Steps for FSSAI license renewal Form C online are as follows:
- Step 1: visit http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in from your browser.
- Step 2: log in to you FSSAI account that you created during registration.
- Step 3: click on the option that reads ‘ apply for renewal of license.’
- Step 4: a list of links shall appear out of which you need to click on the one that applies to you.
- Step 5: confirm renewal by clicking the “OK” button on the confirmation pop- up.
- Step 6: attach and upload the requested documents.
- Step 7: save the newly acquired reference number for future tracking of the progress of the FSSAI license renewal.
By following these steps, one can easily renew their FSSAI license online. The process is highly similar to that of the steps for FSSAI registration.
Similar to that of the FSSAI registration process, the applicant must make sure that he or she should apply and submit the FSSAI renewal form and associated documents before the completion of the tenure of the FSSAI food license.
Important things to know about FSSAI license renewal
When renewing your FSSAI license, there are a couple of things that you must keep in mind:
- The fee amount for renewal of the FSSAI license is dependent on the selected number of years. The higher the years, the more will be the fees. The maximum renewable period for an FSSAI license is for five years, which has an associated cost of Rs. 7500/-
- The FSSAI license renewal form ‘C’ needs an attestation with a self- declaration copy along with the license fee for the stipulated years and other documents.
- For renewal, there is a requirement for a photo identity proof, which can be in the form of Aadhaar card, driving license, voter’s ID card or passport.
- If the applicant has not received their renewal of the FSSAI license after completing the procedure, then he or she need not wait for it. The applicant can immediately resume business.
- The applicant can track the progress and status of their FSSAI renewal via the reference code which they received on completing the renewal application.
*This must not be confused with the reference number received during the FSSAI registration process*
- On completion of the FSSAI renewal process, the applicant food business will be under inspection, which shall be done by the representative authorities. Once the applicant has passed the inspection, he or she is given the all-clear signal to carry the business without any further worries. Purpose of the inspection is to ascertain compliance of the norms of the FSSAI license.
- Other than failure to renew in time, there are no additional penalties or charges. If the applicant can ensure to renew his or her FSSAI license in proper time, he or she can continue business operations without any hindrance.
FSSAI office address
FSSAI MUMBAI REGIONAL OFFICE CONTACT DETAIL:
S 902, Hallmark business plaza, opposite Gurunanak hospital, Email: email@example.com E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, E-Mail: email@example.com, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Business Loan for Food Businesses
Those who aim to start their own food business should actively seek a business loan. A business loan for your food business will help launch your startup and allow you to make a more significant and more lasting impact on the market. This business loan, in turn, will enable you to gain a grip of the business.
Among the vast number of business, loan provides, Lendingkart is one of the best loan lending providers out there.
Lendingkart offers business loans to anyone who is seeking to open a new business in whichever field they prefer. To see whether you fit the bill for applying for a business loan from Lendingkart, you can head over to their website www.lendingkart.com and check your eligibility. If you meet the requirements, then you can easily apply for a business loan online then and there.
Getting a business loan can be a hassle, but that is made simple through Lendingkart. This business loan provider is a quick and secure way to acquire funds for your startup or business. Lending Kart does not require any collateral and has low and fair interest rates starting from 1.25% per month.
Applicants can revive their business loan within 72 hours and also have flexible repayment options for their FSSAI resignation and License.
FSSAI Food License and Registration FAQs:
Here are some frequently asked questions relating to FSSAI registration and licensing:
1. Is it possible for a home kitchen to acquire an FSSAI food license?
2. How long does it take to get an FSSAI license?
3. Can an FSSAI food license be transferred?
4. What form is required for FSSAI renewal?
5. Is FSSAI Licence mandatory for Trader?
6. Why do you need a food license?
7. What documents are required for FSSAI license?
- Aadhar Card of the owner.
- PAN Card of the owner
- Passport Size photograph
- Water bill/ Electricity Bill/ Gas Bill
- IEC Code(for central license)
- CA declaration(if your turnover is 18 0r 19 crores