Life has become too mechanical and complex, leaving an imprint on our wellbeing. We tend to grab lifestyle which is inimical to our health. However, the biggest boon has been that there is also a trend in rising health consciousness particularly among the millennial dominated generations.
More and more conscious consumers are looking for well appointed Yoga Centers or Gyms which help them in their fitness regime and ensure a healthy life.
The rise in Gyms and Fitness Centers:
There has been a spurt in the establishment of fitness and yoga centers across the globe, and our country is no exception. The high demand for such physical wellness centers have opened up a host of opportunities turning the craze into profitable business ventures.
There are studios that cater to a vast range of preferences including traditional Yoga to Gyms and Fitness centers offering customized training regimen and schedules to the conscious; and general packages for others.
Components of Business Model for Yoga, Gym, fitness Center:
The popularity of such centers is beyond doubt in the country and you are sure to find overcrowded yoga or fitness centers all around. The primary task of Entrepreneurs is to design the format of the proposed studio. The format can be based on the following models:
- Yoga studios
- Gym with cardio and weight management equipments.
- Fitness Studio catering to Aerobics, Zumba, Martial Arts or similar activities.
All of them are specialized centers where you need professional yoga practitioners, fitness trainers, and experts in the field of fitness regimens with emphasis on disciplined physical activities.
Devise a Yoga-Fitness Business Plan:
Setting up a fitness and yoga studio requires meticulous planning and careful research.
The shape of the enterprise is primarily dependent on the target population, trained staff, market potential and competition to name a few.
Arriving at informed decisions is the key to a successful venture. Designing a business plan at the outset will not only guide you to proceed methodically, but will also be an aid for seeking business loans. The plan can be summarized for the following basic considerations.
- Location: Good visibility and ample space is ideal.
- Space Size: Depending on the studio format.
- Staffing: Availability of fitness and yoga exponents.
- Competition: Check out for similar set ups around.
- Neighborhood: It is ideal close to the target population.
- Utilities: A well equipped premises with adequate amenities.
Investment areas in a Yoga-Fitness Center:
With a business plan in hand, you will need to chalk out the financial aspect of the project in concrete terms to attract a lender. Let us check out for the indicative costs involved and where:
Indicative costs for a center occupying 2500 to 300 Square feet
Approximate Cost Rs.
HR, Franchise Fee, Training etc
Mandatory Legal Compliance for a Fitness Center in India:
- Registration: Depending on the ownership constitution of the center, registration is a must. A permanent certificate is granted only on receipt of all clearances.
- SSI Registration: Your gym also needs a compulsory SSI registration to be eligible for Government subsidies.
- SOE Registration: Being in the unorganized sector of employment, Shops and Establishment registration is required to regulate the working conditions and rights of the employees.
- GST Registration: It is a must if the annual turnover exceeds Rs.20L.
- Police Clearance: This clearance is also essential before the center gets operational.
Finance for Yoga-Fitness Studio:
According to market research, the Indian fitness and yoga industry is worth around Rs.4.5k crore with a hefty annual growth of 16% to 18%. Investment in the sector does make economic sense as it generates handsome profits.
The source of small business loans in the country is Banks and NBFC. Fintechs like Lendingkart fall in the second category, but they differ from the brick and mortal establishments as they operate on a digital platform. Like every other business, fitness center also needs to start and run. As a start up, the Mudra Loan initiative of the Government can be an option. Alternatively you can look up Fintechs.
- Proprietors, Partners, PLC and LLC.
- Operating business of specified vintage.
- Quarterly turnover exceeding Rs.90K
- Not located in restricted area.
In banks, the documentation is much more elaborate than in Fintechs, which seek bare essentials. Moreover, it also depends on the ownership pattern and credit score. Accordingly, the indicative list of documents is:
- PAN card of the promoter as well as the Business along with other valid KYC documents.
- Aadhaar card of the promoter.
- Copy of Partnership deed if applicable.
- Business registration certificate and copies of other clearances.
- Financial documents as sought by the lender.
Application Process for Business Loan for Fitness Studio:
The advantage with Fintech is that they offer a digital platform for the entire cycle of the loan proposal. This process can be defined in the following simple steps in a time bound transparent manner.
- Visit the relevant portal and invoke the Apply Now tab. Populate the fields asked for and submit.
- Upload the documents sought by the lender.
- Await sanction, post evaluation and vetting of the application and the documents.
- Disbursal of the loan online.
Fee and Charges:
The chart typically represents the rates sourced from Lendingkart.
Fees and other Features
Rate of Interest
12% to 24% per annum
1% to 2% of the loan amount one-time
Maximum 36 months
Monthly or Fortnightly
Amount of Loan
Minimum Rs.50K and maximum Rs.2C