VAT Registration – How to Apply Online, Process, Number Search
VAT or Value Added Tax is a kind of tax that is charged on the sale of goods and services to the ultimate consumers, and it is charged by the Central Government. VAT is a tax that is paid by the producers or manufacturers of the goods and services by levying it on the customers who buy the goods or avail the services. It is basically a charge on the value that is added to a product and it would have to be paid by the final consumer as per the rules and regulations stipulated. All businesses including manufacturing units and other firms/organizations are bound to be registered under the VAT registration act of the respective of state in which the organization is registered.
Meaning of VAT Registration
VAT registration is basically a process in which entrepreneurs or traders list their business with the government as active in producing/manufacturing and selling goods. VAT registration is a mandatory process with respect to all businesses or traders who manufacture or sell goods/products. The VAT registration can be done virtually. The manufacturers or traders are mandated to obtain their VAT registration if the annual turnover is more than 5 lakhs or 10 lakhs (depending upon the rules of their respective state). VAT registration can be done easily without much hassle.
Advantages of VAT Registration
Few of the many benefits of VAT registration:
- The so-registered company will have certain authenticity and other traders will have more faith in doing business with it. It is a kind of legal surety that it is a legitimate business.
- It is taxed on multiple stages with a feature to allow ‘Input tax Credit’ at an initial stage that can be appropriated against the liability of VAT on any subsequent sale.
- The benefit to claim ‘Set-off’ is available through VAT registration. ‘Set-off’ claim is nothing but the difference between VAT paid to the supplier by the business and the VAT received by the business from its customers. Therefore, the business only needs to be pay government and can dos so by deducting the VAT already paid from what the customer pays the business.
- VAT registration is only mandated only if the turnover of the business crosses 5 lakhs or 10 lakhs (depending on the rules of the state the business is registered in). Therefore having a VAT registration makes the business look established, which helps in the expansion of the business as it appeals more to other entrepreneurs.
- VAT status can be easily known by using the registered VAT number, and there is no need to go through the difficulty of going through loads of papers.
- Once a business has VAT registration, it becomes eligible for refunds from VAT that is the business can claim the taxes paid by it in another country for any good purchased there.
There are minor difference in various states regarding the registration of VAT as VAT is dealt with the by the states individually, however, the procedure is simple. The basic steps required to register VAT are:
- The application for VAT registration should be filled and submitted along with the necessary documents to the local VAT office.
- The documents that will be required for VAT are as follows:
- Incorporation Certificate of the company
- Memorandum of Association Articles of Association of companies
- The details of those who are a part of the firm
- Address proof of company’s director (Rental agreement or lease agreement)
- Company’s PAN card or sole proprietor’s PAN card in case of a sole proprietorship
- Identity Proof of Company’s Director
- Deed of Partnership in case the entity is that of a Partnership firm
- Passport-sized photo of the firm’s Director
- The details that will be required for the registration of VAT for a business are:
- Dealer’s name
- Registered name of the company
- The registered address of the company
- Registered phone number of the company
- Registered email id of the company
- Details of either Director/Managing Director
- Details of the authorized signatory
- Date of incorporation of the company or date the business commenced
- Nature of business
- Description of the products dealt with by the business
- List of all the Directors
- Details of the Bank Account
- The officer in charger from the VAT office will conduct a physical inspection of the company within 3 days of submitting the application and the required documents.
- Post the inspection, the business will be required to pay a fee deposit.
- Once the fee has been paid, the allotment of the Taxpayer Identification Number will happen and the certificate of VAT will be issued within one day.
Online VAT Registration
VAT registration can also be done online by following the simple steps below:
- The person registering should visit the official website of VAT registration of the state in which the business is registered.
- Several details would be asked and that needs to be filled inappropriately.
- Any documents requested must be scanned and submitted on the official website.
- The website would then be allotted a temporary VAT number.
- On completing the verification process including that of verifying documents, other details, etc., the VAT registration would be done and a permanent VAT registration number will then be allotted to the business.
Process to Check VAT Registration Status Online
The status of a business’s VAT registration can be checked online by following the below steps:
- The person needs to visit the official VAT registration website of his/her respective state in which VAT registration had been applied for.
- The person needs to put in his/her credentials or the temporary VAT number that was allotted to him/her or to the business.
- The official page will then show the VAT status along with the dealer status.
Fees for VAT Registration
- VAT registration fee is Rs. 500.
- Professional tax fee depends on the type of business that is to be registered and the turnover of the business.
On the basis of the type of business to be registered which are:
- Sole Proprietorship firm – Rs. 1,000
- Partnership firm – Rs. 1,000 for each partner
- Registered Company – Rs. 2,500
- On the basis of the amount of turnover of a business, the fee to be paid would be:
- For a turnover of Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 10 lakhs – Rs. 3,000
- For a turnover of Rs. 10 lakhs to 25 lakhs – Rs. 6,000
- For a turnover exceeding Rs. 25 lakhs – Rs. 10,000
VAT Registration FAQs:
1. What is the meaning VAT?
2. Who all are mandated to register for VAT?
3. What is a TIN with respect to VAT?
4. What should a trader do after applying for VAT registration until the VAT registration is complete?
5. Can VAT registration status be checked online?
6. What is set-off? Is it a boon or a bane to a trader?
7. What is a VAT refund?
8. What is the rate of VAT?
9. Do associations have to register for VAT?
10. Is it safe to register for VAT online?
Difference between tin tan vat pan dsc and din
how to withdraw pf amount online using uan
Business Ideas for Women
10 Business Ideas after Lock Down
Business Skills are Needed to Run Business
Business loan for women
Agriculture business plan
Dairy farm loan
Small Scale Industries in India
GST Registration Online
Aadhar Card Status
PAN Card Correction & Update
Aadhaar Card Download
PAN Card Apply Online
Instant PAN Card through Aadhaar
PAN Card Mistakes – To Avoid
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
PAN Card Details Search By Name, DoB, PAN Number & Address
What is a Cancelled Cheque