As a citizen of India, having the proper documents and identification is vital. These documents and other subsequent cards are essential for a multitude of purposes. From opening a bank account, getting ration to even getting a job, having the right identification and documents serve a crucial role in the lives of every citizen.
Out of these, one of the must-have documents is a PAN card. A PAN card or Permanent Account Number is a unique alphanumeric number which is assigned to all individual taxpayers of India. The PAN card serves as a proof of identity for the holder and remains valid for the entire life.
The primary purpose of a PAN card is to use a universal key in order to track financial transactions which may involve a taxable component. This is so that the Government may avoid any form of tax evasion.
Mistakes to Avoid on a PAN card
When issuing one’s PAN card, there are certain things to keep in mind to avoid any error. Making a mistake in your PAN card can create additional problems and complications that can affect several processes and will require clarification at every step.
That being said, here are some of the PAN card mistake to avoid:
- Incorrect input of Name: when adding your name in the application form for the PAN card, avoid putting any initials and any abbreviations. Having your name as it is on your passport is the best choice. Also, you should make sure that you are not making any mistake with the spelling. Your name on the PAN card should be the same in the rest of your other documents.
- The correct type of Photograph: Make sure that the photo that is being attached is not a scanned copy. Using a scanned copy of a picture may result in an unclear image in the actual PAN card itself. If you are filling out a physical copy of the PAN card application, then only use glue to attach the most recent picture you have of yourself. Do not pin or staple the pic as it makes damage in the final image on the card.
- Incorrect signature: When applying for a PAN card, the applicant will be required to provide their signature in two places; one across the photo and the other in a designated box. Make sure that you sign only in the allotted places. Do not add any extra details such as dates or designation. Most application forms require the applicant to use a black ink pen, though at the time a blue ink pen is also acceptable. The signature provided should be the one used primarily and in all the rest of the documents that the applicant possesses.
- Correct communication information: A common mistake that is often made by new applicants is communication information. Double-check your small details like the PIN code and the postal address. Providing the right phone number and address is vital for any error that may lead to the PAN card being delivered to the wrong location.
- Additional proof: When applying for a PAN card, you may also be required to provide other documents that will serve as proof of address and proof of identity for the processing of the PAN card. Make sure that the papers that are being provided have the correct information that aligns with those contained in the application form of the PAN card.
These are some of the common mistakes that are to be avoided when applying for a PAN card. These mistakes are easy to miss, be it due to force of habit or simple inconsistency. Regardless one should always opt to be as careful as possible when filling out the form in order to acquire a valid PAN card.