DDU-GKY: Jobs, Courses, Eligibility, Registration Process, Documents, Benefits
The Government of India is committed to rooting out poverty and has devised different plans to uplift the poor. One such initiative is to impart skill development training to youths, especially in rural India. Keeping the people’s welfare in mind, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU-GKY) was introduced by the Ministry Of Rural Development.
DDU-GKY focuses on rural youth in the age group of 15-35 years. Being an essential constituent of the Skill India Campaign, DDU-GKY plays an instrumental role in promoting the government’s social and economic programs. The ambitious DDU-GKY plan was launched on Antyodaya Diwas – 25th September 2014.
The plan has twin objectives:
- Diversify income of poor rural families
- Catering to the career options of youth in rural India
Nearly 55 million youth belonging to the lowest strata of rural India’s society fail to compete successfully in the job market. Lack of education and poor skills are the most significant impediment in their growth prospects. DDU-GKY bridges the gap and funds the skill training that meets global benchmark standards. It enables the youth to acquire requisite skills and helps them in placement, career progress, and international placement.
What is the mission of DDU-GKY?
The mission is to reduce rural households’ poverty by providing necessary skills and sustainable employment opportunities with regular income. The approach followed is :
- Awareness is created within the community of the economic opportunities available.
- By identifying the poor rural youth having the ability to participate in the scheme.
- Mobilizing the interested rural youth from a poor background to participate in numbers.
- Proper counseling is given to the youth and parents.
- Selection of the interested youth based on aptitude.
- Necessary knowledge and skill are provided to improve the chances of employability.
- Supporting the candidate even after employment.
- Enables the poor and disadvantaged sections of the population in rural India to access the benefits.
- Free skill training that is market-driven and is imparted at no cost to the beneficiaries.
- It is mandatory under the program to include socially disadvantaged groups such as SC/ST, Minority, and Women.
- Career progression is also emphasized.
- There is provision for post-placement support, networking, and migration support.
- The program ensures a minimum of 75% placement of trained students.
- Market-oriented training is provided to candidates.
- Greater focus is given on poor rural youths belonging to the Union territory of J&K under the HIMAYAT Scheme and North-East and Left-Wing Extremist districts under the ROSHINI Scheme.
- 50% of the allotted fund is reserved for SC/ST candidates (45years)
- 15% of the fund is reserved for minority groups
- 3% is reserved for disable candidates
- Each training program should have 33% of women candidates
Eligibility for DDU-GKY
- The eligible candidate should be in the age group of 15-35 years.
- Women from rural areas are eligible for up to 45 years of age.
- Persons with a disability can also apply (45 years)
- Transgender people and other special groups
- Particularly vulnerable Tribal groups are also eligible under the program.
Benefits of the DDU-GKY program
- DDU-GKY scheme is market-linked and follows the PPP model.
- The candidate has access to new emerging technologies and gets on the job training.
- Soft skills are imparted to candidates that help them to start their work with ease better.
- Benchmarks and minimum standards are set for quality assurance.
- Availability of computer labs and e-learning facilities to impart modern education.
- Free uniform, course material, and lodging-boarding facility for candidates.
- Free tablet or PC during the program to learn from the broader curriculum at their own pace.
- Efforts to place 75% of candidates in jobs with a minimum salary of ₹6000.
- Training also includes basic computer knowledge and other soft skills for overall development.
Registering under DDU-GKY
- A candidate should firstly enroll himself/herself with Gram Rozgar Sewak or the Gram Panchayat. From there, they get a recommendation for the nearest training center.
- After contacting the nearby training center, a candidate should collect all the information regarding the trade and the training center that provides the training.
- Lastly, the applicant should visit the Kaushal Panjee official website – https://kaushalpanjee.nic.in/ and fill in all the details for registration.
DDU-GKY has a three-tier implementation model:
- DDU-GKY National Unit part of MoRD is instrumental in policy-making, providing technical support, and act as a facilitation agency.
- DDU-GKY State units provide the necessary implementation support.
- Project Implementing Agencies implement the program and is responsible for skill training and placement.
The approach of the DDU-GKY program
- The emphasis is on career progression after training
- Poor and marginalized groups becoming part of the economic growth story
- Ease the pain of migration due to jobs.
- The pro-active approach in building a business partnership
- The main focus of the program is sustainable employment.
- States take full ownership of the DDU-GKY projects. Governments act as the leading player.
- Special attention is given to N-E states in collaboration with the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DONER).
- Capacities of Project implementing agencies are enhanced.
Funding of DDU-GKY program
Placement linked skill development projects that address the current market demand are funded under the program. Depending upon the duration, the budget per person ranges between ₹25,696 to over ₹1 lakh. The funding also depends if the project is a residential or non-residential one. The funding costs include:
- Training cost
- Boarding and lodging
- Post-placement support
- Job retention
- Career progression
Priority to Project implementing agencies for funding:
- Foreign placement agencies
- Organizations involved in captive employment after skill training
- Internships that are co-funded by industry.
- Agencies that assure skill training and proper employment to a minimum of 10,000 trainee candidates within two years.
- Educational institutes of the highest reputation throughout the country that are participating in the program.
The list of documents required to apply under DDU-GKY are :
- Voter ID card
- Aadhar Card
- Photo ID card
- BPL Card
- RSBY/ Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana card
- AAYB/Antyodaya Anna Yojana Beneficiary
- PDS card
- NRLM self-help Group identification paper
- MGNREGA card of the applicant or any other family member with a (minimum) 15 days of completed work.
State Skill-Development Mission
State Rural–Livelihood Mission
Bihar rural livelihood promotion society
Chhattisgarh rural livelihood mission
Gujarat livelihood promotion company
Jammu and Kashmir
Himayat Mission, Jammu, and Kashmir state rural livelihood mission
Jharkhand livelihood promotion society
MP State rural livelihood mission
Maharashtra State rural livelihood mission
Odisha rural development and marketing society
Punjab skill development mission
Tamilnadu corporation for the development of women Ltd.
Tripura rural livelihood mission society
Uttar Pradesh skill development mission
Paschim Banga society for skill development
Currently, the DDU-GKY program is applicable in 28 states and Union Territories of India, covering 669 districts. In the future, under the program, ₹5600 crores are earmarked for youths belonging to low-income families in Rural India.
India has over 55 million belonging to needy families in rural India. This demographic surplus can be transformed into a demographic dividend if proper skill development training is provided. DDU-GKY is a visionary step in the right direction to face the challenge of providing employment opportunities and bring economic development. As the world is grappling with the skilled labor shortage, India is at the crossroad to exploit this unique opportunity and become a success story.
Placed or employed
No. of Training Centres
Small Scale Industries in India
GST Registration Online
Aadhar Card Status
PAN Card Correction & Update
Aadhaar Card Download
PAN Card Apply Online
Instant PAN Card through Aadhaar
PAN Card Mistakes – To Avoid
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
PAN Card Details Search By Name, DoB, PAN Number & Address
What is a Cancelled Cheque