About Aadhaar Card
Aadhaar card is one of the most integral identity, age, and address proof issued by UIDAI – Unique Identification Authority of India and can be asked as an important KYC document for several purposes. It signifies vital information of an Indian citizen which includes the full name of the person, address, date of birth, contact details, gender, iris, and fingerprint (biometric) scan data. It is quite a simple and convenient process to update information like change of name, DOB, address, and contact details on the existing Aadhaar Card by following simple procedures and steps.
Aadhaar Card Details that can be Updated
Demographic and biometric information can be modified or updated as per the requirement of the individual on the existing Aadhaar Card like:
- Date of Birth
- Mobile Number or other contact details
- Relationship status whether Married/Divorced/Widowed etc.
- Email ID
- Consent to share information
- Photograph or changes in facial features (picture to be attached)
Documents Required to Modify or Update Aadhaar Card Details
To make changes to the Aadhaar Card, creditable documents and additional proof will be required to be attached or submitted to authorize the required modifications.
- Any other identity proof which contains the name and photograph of the individual (these documents must contain the correct information which needs to be updated on the Aadhaar Card)
- Additional address proof documents with the updated address and the name of the individual like utility bills, passport, etc.
- Documents pertaining to the correct date of birth like the birth certificate.
- The most common change is regarding the change in relationship status for which a proof contains relevant information along with the legal papers attached or approval by the head of the family, for example marriage card in case of change of surname and divorce papers in case of a separated or divorced individual.
- There is no need to print and submit photocopies of these documents as the centre will demand original documents that will be scanned.
Table with list of probable documents
Proof of identity
● Certificate of Marriage.
● Driving licence
● Either Ration or PDS Photo card
● Job card of NREGS
● Licence of Arms
● Photo identification that is issued by some
● Photo identification cards issued by the Government of India.
● PAN card
● Photo Credit card
● Photo card of CGHS
● Photo Bank ATM card
● Photo Passbook of Kisan
● Photo card of the Pensioner
● Photo card of the Freedom Fighter
● Recognised Educational Institution
● Service photo ID cards
● Voter ID card
● Arms licence
● Account statement or passbook of the Post Office
● Ration Card
● CGHS card.
● Driving licence
● ECHS card
● Freedom fighter card
● Kisan passbook
● Insurance policy
● Job card of NREGS
● Last 3 months of Credit Card statement
● Photo with signed letter on letterhead issued by educational enterprise
● Pensioner card
● PSU issued Service photo ID card
● Previous 3 months’ electricity bill
● Photo with a letter signed on letterhead by the bank
● Photo ID cards by the Government
● Previous 3 months of landline bill
● Passbook of bank where the the person has a bank account
● Receipt showing the Property Tax of the last 3 months
● Signed letter with photo on letterhead of the company
● Statement of bank
● Voter ID card
● Water bill less than 3 months old
Date of Birth Documents
● Certificate or SSLC Book
● Certificate of birth
● Date of birth on one’s letterhead which is issued by either the Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar
● Passport of the applicant
Note: This list is not exhaustive and other documents can be shown as proof. For more details, visit the official website of UIDAI.
Steps to Update Aadhaar Card Details
Making Changes Online through Aadhaar Self-service Update Portal
This is one of the most convenient ways to make relevant changes in the Aadhaar Card, provided, the mobile number registered while applying for the AadhaarCard is in use. Using the OTP (one-time password for verification) which will be sent to the mobile of the individual, he/she can login using his 12-digit Aadhaar number. All he needs to do is submit the relevant documents and proofs and make the necessary changes.
The steps to be followed is as follows:
- 1 – Login to the Aadhaar self-service update portal – https://uidai.gov.in/
- 2 –Select the relevant field that needs to be modified and fill it up with the correct details and then submit
- 3 – A URN (Update Request Number) will be generated after the form is submitted
- 4 – The applicant can select the relevant BPO service provider for reviews of updates.
- 5 – He would need to scan and attach the required proof, documents, and supporting copies of the information that needs to be updated.
- 6 – Use the URN to check the status of the update.
Process of Address Update on Aadhar Card
Making Changes Offline by Visiting the Permanent Enrolment Centre (PEC):
Through this mode, an operator from PEC will assist the applicant when he places his biometric or demographic update request. There are two modes through which this is possible:
1. Update Client Standard and Client Lite –
Used to update local language, biometric fields, and demographic status. This also needs a biometric check at the back end.
- The DDSVP Committee recommends the procedure of verification which needs to be manually conducted by the UIDAI or Registrars.
- Any kind of Aadhaar update requires a biometric sign off from the operator who also takes care of the spelling issues, language issues, transliteration, etc.
- URN and acknowledgement receipt will be issued which will help the individual to track the status of the changes done.
2. Update through AUA Point of Presence –
This update is authorised by an Authentication Requesting Agency (AUA) who is also the Registrar and are the custodians of the data provided by the applicant and UIDAI. These registrars have the authority to collect, generate, possess and manage the specific information regarding the demographic field of the citizen. Only the Demographic Field can be updated using this mode.
- AUA device will conduct the biometric authentication
- Additional information may be asked from UIDAI
- Biometrics will be signed off against the request of the update
- UIDAI will only accept the update request after it is verified and authorised by the Registrar and the applicant is authenticated. The scanned, audited and electronic documents of the individual can be accepted online.
- The operator of the Registrars after conducting a biometric authentication on the device of the applicant will fill-up the form.
- AN acknowledgement will be given via SMS or email if it is about Mobile Number which can be used for further follow-up.
Steps to Update Address in Aadhaar Card without having a Document Proof
The same can be done after the consent and authentication of the family members, landlord, friend, whosoever is the owner of the current residence (known as the address verifier), the applicant is staying in and it can be used to update the current residential address on the Aadhaar Card.
To do this, an ‘Address Validation Letter’ must be requested and the following details should be kept in mind:
- Address will only be validated after the resident and the owner verify the secret code within the validation letter which is sent on the address verifier’s address.
- They must also verify and update their respective Mobile Numbers with the submission of their Aadhaar Cards.
- If the consent is denied by the Address Verifier the request for any change will be terminated and the request will have to be re-initiated.
Steps to follow to change the address:
- 1- The applicant must visit the Aadhaar Self Service updating website – https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/
- 2- One should select the ‘Update Aadhaar’ button and then click on ‘Request for Address Validation Letter’ if one has address proof.
- 3- The person needs to enter their Aadhaar Card number & captcha code.
- 4- After clicking on ‘Send OTP or Enter TOTP’ which will be sent to the registered mobile number, he must enter the code.
- 5- Then the process details for updating the address via Validation Letter are as follows:
- Resident initiates Request
- Address Verifier Consents
- Secret Code must be used to complete the authorisation after which the update will be complete
Update Address in Aadhaar Card with Document Proof
For changing one’s address, gender, e-mail ID, name, mobile number, etc. on Aadhaar Card, follow the below steps:-
- 1- The applicant must visit the Aadhaar Self Service updating website – https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/login.html
- 2- One should select the ‘Update Aadhaar’ button and then click on ‘Request for Address Validation Letter’ if he/she has address proof.
- 3- The person needs to enter their Aadhaar Card number, 16-digit Virtual ID & captcha code. Select ‘Enter TOTP or OTP’ & an OTP will be sent to one’s mobile number – https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssupAddressPin/pinGenerate.html
- 4- Enter the code.
- 5- Select ‘Login’ option.
- 6- After this go to the ‘Update Address via Secret Code’ or ‘Update Address Through Address Proof’ section.
- 7- After that enter all the necessary details which needs to be changed and enter the full address.
For any information on Pin Code & other data related to State/City/Town/District/Post office/Village, one can confirm it at UIDAI contact centre or at firstname.lastname@example.org. email address.
If a person wants to add the name of one’s guardian, spouse or parent to the address, choose the address rectification option. After this, choose the C/o details and enter the person’s name in the required field. The details will get updated with the address.
- Step 8- After entering a full address and uploading the required documents even though one has updated or corrected the C/o details only. If one fails to provide supporting documents then the details won’t get updated.
- Step 9- Before finally clicking on the submit option one can check the data both in English and in their local language as well.
- Step 10- Finally, click on the submit option. One can keep track of their request through Update Request Number (URN).
Note: One can print or download their acknowledgement copy.
How to Change Name/Surname in an Aadhaar Card?
If one wants to update or change their name or surname in Aadhaar Card, they need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- 1- Visit any Aadhaar Update or Enrollment Centre.
- 2- Enter all the details in Aadhaar Update Form as required.
- 3- One must enter their registered mobile number in the Aadhaar Correction form so that one is able to get track of their request.
- 4- Once the form is filled up, the request gets registered at the Aadhaar Enrollment centre by the executive.
- 5- After that the person will get an acknowledgement slip with URN, which is used for tracking the status of the application.
- 6- One needs to pay a charge Rs 50 for correction in name.
How to Change or Update Mobile Number in Aadhaar Card
There are occasions when one is not using their mobile number which got registered with UIDAI during Aadhaar Card generation. Aadhaar Card mobile number change or updation can be done by following the below-mentioned steps:-
- Step 1- One needs to visit Aadhaar Update Centre for updating or changing their mobile number.
- Step 2- Enter the details in Aadhaar Update Form.
- Step 3- One needs to enter their new mobile number.
- Step 4- There is no need to mention one’s previous number.
- Step 5- Further there is no proof required to change one number.
- Step 6: Once the form is filled up, the request gets registered at the Aadhaar Enrollment centre by the executive.
- Step 7: The person will get an acknowledgement slip & URN number.
- Step 8: One needs to pay a charge Rs 50 for correction in mobilne number.
Although one cannot change their Aadhaar name through an online process, they can book an appointment online & save time by avoiding long queues. For booking an appointment online follow the below steps:-
- 1- Go to the UIDAI official website & click on the ‘book appointment’ tab below ‘My Aadhaar’ option.
- 2- Choose the centre name from your location/pincode/state/city and select ‘Proceed to book appointment’.
- 3- Select ‘Aadhaar Update’ button.
- 4- Enter one’s registered mobile number & captcha code.
- 5- An OTP will be sent to the mobile number, enter it.
- 6- After verification, a form appears in which one needs to fill their details & submit it.
- 7- Go to the manage appointment tab & get appointment details from it.
- 8- Download Aadhaar Update form.
- 9- Visit the centre at the aforementioned time & submit the form with the necessary documents.
- 10- The officer will give an acknowledgement sheet along with a URN for tracking the status.
- 11- Pay the applicable charge of Rs 50.
How to Change Date of Birth in an Aadhaar Card?
For changing one’s birth date in Aadhaar Card, one needs to follow the below steps:-
- Step 1- Pay a visit to Aadhaar Enrolment Centre for changing your birth date.
- Step 2- Enter all the required details in Aadhaar updating form with one’s actual birth date.
- Step 4: One is required to show & submit the date of birth proof that needs to be attached to the form.
- Step 5: He/she needs to verify their biometrics for authenticating one’s identity.
- Step 6: The person will receive an URN along with an acknowledgement slip as proof. This URN may be used to check the status online of the birth date update.
- Step 7: The person needs to pay a fee of Rs.50 for updating birth proof.
Once the form is filled up, DOB gets updated usually in 90 days.