The overdraft facility is a service some banks and credit unions offer that allows customers to break their bank balances. The bank will charge the customer an overdraft fee if they go beyond their limit without informing them beforehand, but the overdraft facility can save them from being charged for bounced cheques or having unpaid transactions.
If an account is linked to a deposit account, overdrafts can be used to cover personal expenses such as utility bills, credit card payments, and mortgage payments. Overdrafts should only be used in absolute emergencies and should never be used to clear high-value purchases while avoiding paying interest on purchases. Credit unions have been known to limit their customers’ overdraft use even further by charging too many fees for using the service.
Using an overdraft facility for personal expenses can also create other problems, including Overdrafts are only granted after the customer has established proof of adequate income.
The overdraft service is a bank service that enables a customer to cover an overdraft (i.e., a deposit that is less than the customer’s account balance) if they are unable to pay their overdraft limit on the current day but can demonstrate proof that they have sufficient funds in their account during the next working day.
It provides a temporary increase in funds in the account until the next working day, when it will return to normal levels. The period for which funds are held is called the overdraft facility, or ODF for short.
The bank will charge interest on the overdraft facility, generally at a daily rate. Customers can choose to pay additional fees (such as administrative fees and dishonor fees) if it takes them longer than the stated period to repay the overdraft. Overdraft services are available through banks and credit unions. Using an overdraft facility is more expensive than not using one, but it has some advantages. For example, it may be granted instantly in some cases to access the funds they need immediately. Most banks will also offer cheaper overdrafts for personal customers if they have an established relationship.
Why Should One Opt For An Overdraft Facility?
Banks and savings & loans institutions mainly offer the service to their customers. However, some other financial institutions, like credit unions or other banks, may provide this service.
Some advantages of overdraft facility are:
1) Customers save their reputation not to overspend.
2) Customers save their money from overdraft fees and some other charges.
4) Customers save money for buying something so they can buy more and pay less.
5) Some other banks or financial institutions are offering accessible overdraft facility that is called zero-balance facilities. Still, different banks offer this service in different countries, so it is hard to search the available options of zero-balance facilities.
6) Some other banks provide a facility to freeze the account balance to prevent customers from using their overdraft facility without informing them beforehand. Still, it means that customers cannot use their credit cards or make payments during this period.
Major Things To Keep In Mind While Going For An Overdraft Facility:
1) Only go for an overdraft facility after checking your balance in two to three working days. A customer should know how to check their balance and the timing when it will be reflected.
2) A customer should check the zero-balance facility in the bank where they will open their account. If not, they should check if fees are charged for overusing this facility.
3) Customers should pay attention to how much they spend per day because some companies charge them more if they spend more than the permissible limit in a day. The charge levied by companies can vary depending on the customers’ spending habits.
4) Customers should be cautious with their credit cards or other bank accounts because some companies charge them if they spend more than their allowed limit. This charge also varies from customer to customer.
5) A customer should find out the overdraft facility they use and check how many days they can overdraft before the bank can charge them; some banks charge customers even before two working days, and some do it as soon as the last day of a month.
6) A customer should understand if there is any penalty for early withdrawal of funds because most banks do not charge their customers in case of early withdrawal.
7) A customer should check if there is any information needed to get an overdraft facility because most banks don’t need income verification or other documents.
8) A customer should check if there is any time limit (i.e., duration) for using an overdraft facility because some banks set these limits from one day to one year.
9) Some banks do not allow their customers to use credit cards during the overdraft facility. This is done to prevent customers from spending more than their credit card limit and then making payments for expenses beyond the limit by over-drafting their account balance.
Banks and credit unions are allowing their customers to use an overdraft facility, which may allow a customer to cover an overdraft (i.e., a deposit that is less than the customer’s account balance) if they cannot pay their overdraft limit on the current day. Still, they can demonstrate that they have sufficient funds in their account during the next working day.
The service provides a temporary increase in funds in the account until the next working day, when it will return to normal levels. The period for which deposits are held is called the overdraft facility, or ODF for short. Overdrafts are only granted after the customer has established proof of adequate income.
Business Loan or Overdraft – Which is Better?