How To Activate Your UAN Number Online
UAN is an abbreviation for Universal Account Number issued by the employee’s provident fund organization of India or EPFO. The UAN was launched in India by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on the 1st of October 2014. EPFO achieved a gargantuan task of central synchronization of EPF accounts and making the EPF account and related services available online.
UAN of older employees
Prior to 2014, the EPF system was offline. Organizations that offer PF in salary component have a UAN. The UAN needs to be registered and activated on the EPFO portal to start getting the benefits associated with online accounts. The best way to get a UAN is to ask the HR department or employer. The UAN is mostly printed on the salary slip.
However, if it is not printed you may put up a request and meanwhile make self-efforts. You can visit the nearest EPFO office with your salary slip or call the toll-free EPFO helpline number. UAN can be traced through PF member id which is most often printed on PF receipts, salary receipts, and other EPF submission documents of employers. If you know your PF member id you can also retrieve your UAN from the EPFO site through guided links.
UAN of new employees
UAN is issued by EPFO when an individual joins a job that offers PF benefits.
Usually newly joined need to submit all documents with HR and details submitted by HR to EPFO and UAN is issued. Once the employee receives UAN, the same has to be registered and activated on the EPFO site to get online accessibility to own an EPF account. There is an option of UAN self-generation on the EPFO website through Aadhaar linked with a registered mobile number. It is best to clarify with HR whether UAN will be received from the office or has to be self-generated by the employee.
Documents required for getting UAN:
- Identity proof (Aadhaar, passport, ration card, voter id card, driving license…..)
- Address proof (Recent utility bill, bank account statement………)
- Bank account information (IFSC, account number, address, MICR…)
- Aadhaar number (Aadhaar linked to PAN and RMN)
- PAN number
Advantages of UAN
The UAN sets the EPF account online and accords any time accessibility to employees to own an EPF account. Once an employee has registered and activated UAN on the EPFO portal several member benefits of an online account become available. The member can check the status online, and withdraw full or part PF online (as per PF withdrawal rules). By giving a missed call on 9718397183, members can receive links to download the UMANG App on mobile and avail benefits of a mobile EPF account. The UAN is a lifetime valid number. Even when a job is changed UAN does not change, the linked PF member id is however assigned anew by the current employer.
UAN benefits capsules are as follows:
- Unique number for each employee
- Lifetime valid number
- Can be registered and activated online
- Accords anytime accessibility of EPF account
- Facilitates withdrawals and transfers of EPF account
Online registration and activation of UAN
- Access the official EPFO website: the official site of EPFO – https://www.epfindia.gov.in/ can be accessed online. Type the address on the search bar or Google to get it and click on the address link.
- Locate on the menu ‘Our services’: As soon as the portal is accessed the first page opens up with all the menus on the dashboard. Locate the menu ‘Our Services’ on the left-most corner of the portal.
- Choose to drop down to get ‘For employees’: Under the ‘Our services’ menu select ‘for employees’ from the drop-down list.
- Choose ‘Member UAN/online services’: Make further choice and select ‘Member UAN/online services’ to reach the registration page.
- Enter UAN and self details: The page will ask for UAN, mobile number, and PF member id in the relevant search boxes. Captcha needs to be entered where after PIN is received on RMN. The ‘I agree’ box on the disclaimer has to be checked and OPT received on RMN needs to be entered in the box. The final step is to click on the validate OTP and register the UAN box.
- Get the password and log on to the EPF account: The UAN activation password for accessing the EPF account online is sent on RMN. Users can log in with this password and UAN number as members. The password can be changed by the user and a new password can be generated.
How to Active UAN Registration & Activation Online FAQs:
1. Is UAN valid for international staff/workers?
2. Which countries have signed SSA agreements for EPF access with GOI?
3. Is UAN valid for PPF and VPF accounts as well?
4. Does EPFO issue a passbook?
5. What is UMANG by EPFO?
6. How to locate nearest EPFO office?
7. What is EPFO toll free number?
April saw a significant increase in formal job creation
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) and National Pension Scheme (NPS) created more jobs in April than in any month in the past three months combined, according to the latest official figures released by the government.
The official figure released provisional payroll data by the statistics and program implementation ministry indicated:
- The net new subscriber addition under the EPFO grew 41.6% to 1.7 million in April from 1.2 million last year.
- Net new subscribers under the ESIC increased 21.1% in April compared to the year-ago period, official figures show.
- About 0.92 million new members were enrolled under the social security cover of EPF & MP Act, 1952 for the first time.
- Approx. 1.16 million net subscribers rejoined the EPFO by transferring previous PF account accumulations to the current account rather than claiming final withdrawal.
News Updated Date: 1st July 2022