What are the Cost Estimates of Setting Up an EV Public Charging Station in India?
Electronic Vehicles (EVs) are an environmentally friendly and low-cost alternative to petrol or diesel vehicles. Any vehicle that runs partially or wholly with electric combustion comes under the category of EV. Instead of using fuel, these vehicles use electric batteries or a combination of fuel and electric power to run. However, electric vehicles need electric charging stations like petrol, diesel, or gas stations. The EV charging stations provide the chargers to charge the batteries of the EV on the road.
Types of EV Chargers
There are three types of electric chargers available for EVs depending on the level of charging that they provide:
- Level 1 Charging (Slow Charging)
It is the basic charging equipment with slow speed. It uses 120 volts (V) through an Alternating Current (AC) plug and can be used on home circuits. It takes around 8 to 12 hours to charge a battery through this equipment. It is mainly used in households for overnight charging of the EV.
- Level 2 Charging (Standard Charging)
It provides an average charging time of 4 to 6 hours through a 240 volts (V) AC plug. It is compatible with all EVs including plug-in electric hybrid vehicles. These stations are mostly installed in public parking spaces, commercial and residential buildings.
- Level 3 Charging (Rapid Charging)
It can charge a battery up to 80% in 20-30 minutes using 480 volts (V) Direct Current (DC) plug. However, it is not compatible with all the EVs. They can be installed only in public charging stations.
Government Guidelines for Setting EV Charging Stations
The following guidelines have been issued by the Central Government of India regarding the setting up of EV charging stations in India:
- The Government of India has made it compulsory to set up an EV charging station every 3 kms in the cities, 25 kms on the highway, and 100 kms on highways for heavy-duty vehicles.
- The Government of India has made it license-free for any individual to set up an EV charging station in India following the guidelines of the Power Ministry of India.
Infrastructural Requirements for Setting EV Charging Station
The following infrastructure requirements are necessary for setting up an EV Charging Station:
- Installation of a transformer, substation equipment, and safety equipment.
- 33/11 KV cables and associated equipment for line and meters.
- Civil works and installations.
- Land space for charging vehicles and entry or exit of vehicles.
- Installation of all the charger models approved by local and international standards.
In India, the following charger models are installed at public charging stations:
Cost of Setting Up EV Charging Stations
The cost of setting up an EV charging station consists of two types of costs:
- Infrastructural Costs
- Charger Costs
Infrastructural Costs for Setting Up EV Charging Stations
The infrastructural costs consist of facilities, equipment, and land required for the charging station. The cost break-up for the same is given below:
Land Lease at INR 50,000 per month
Electricity connection, transformers, and energy meters
Maintenance and Technical team
Brand promotion and Marketing
Please Note: The mentioned above are estimated. They may differ according to time and place.
As per the government guidelines, public EV charging stations must have at least three fast (DC) chargers and two slow (AC) chargers. The cost of Level 1 chargers is comparatively low as compared to Level 2 and 3 chargers. The cost of different chargers is given below:
Type of Charger
Bharat AC – 001
Bharat DC – 001
Type 2 AC
EV Charging Station Franchise in India
Some of the companies that are providing services for EV charging stations are:
- Tata Power – Mumbai
- Charge + Zone – Vadodara
- Exicom Power System – Gurgaon
- Charge My Gaddi – Delhi
- Volttie – Noida
- EVQ Point – Bengaluru
- PlugNGo – Noida
- Dyna Hi-tech Power Systems – Navi Mumbai
Benefits of Setting up EV Charging Stations
There are many benefits associated with setting up EV charging stations. Some of them have been explained below:
- India is moving towards an era of electronic vehicles. In the coming years, ICE vehicles are going to be replaced with electric vehicles. Hence, there is going to be high demand for EV charging stations.
- The government provides various schemes and subsidies for setting up EV charging stations.
- The cost of setting up an EV charging station is low, and revenues would increase year by year.
- It would help in making India’s initiative of ‘Go Green’.
Learn more – EV Charging Station Business Loan
Cost Estimates of Setting Up an EV Public Charging Station in India FAQs:
1. Are EV charging stations free?
2. Can EV charging stations be set up at home?
3. What is an EV charging station?
4. Are EV charging stations profitable in the long run?
5. Can a DC charger be installed at home?
Does the government provide support for installing EV charging stations?
7. How much space is required for a public EV charging station?
8. What is the average cost for installing a public EV charging station?
9. Is there any inspection required before operating the EV charging station?
10. Which state in India has the highest number of EV charging stations?
How to get business loan for textile business
Difference between tin tan vat pan dsc and din
how to withdraw pf amount online using uan
Business Ideas for Women
10 Business Ideas after Lock Down
Business Skills are Needed to Run Business
Business loan for women
Agriculture business plan
Dairy farm loan
Small Scale Industries in India
GST Registration Online
Aadhar Card Status
PAN Card Correction & Update
Aadhaar Card Download
PAN Card Apply Online
Instant PAN Card through Aadhaar
PAN Card Mistakes – To Avoid
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
PAN Card Details Search By Name, DoB, PAN Number & Address
What is a Cancelled Cheque